Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Brakes & Suspension

Brakes & Suspension Discuss suspension tech here, springs, suspension, camber kits, bushings etc...

Old 05-21-2011, 04:22 PM

LilFit is on a distinguished road
Default Sway Bars

Does anyone know about sway bars? I want my Fit to have better performance around turns. Would I get a rear sway bar or a front sway bar?
Help,
LilFit
Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

This thread has all you need to know. If you are interested in cornering performance improvement it is one of the best mods out there.

http://www.hondafitforums.com/showthread.php?t=47
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default ...I went with the rear sway bar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFit View Post
Does anyone know about sway bars? I want my Fit to have better performance around turns. Would I get a rear sway bar or a front sway bar?
Help,
LilFit
LilFit, I have had the chance to test both mods. A front sway bar would decrease over-steer, and increase under-steer. A rear sway bar would increase over-steer, and decrease under-steer.
Honda engineers built in a little bit of under-steer into the GD3, so adding a rear sway-bar to my Fit, helped make it rotate perfectly neutral.
In AutoX, mrFroge is not allowed to add a rear sway bar, and still be legal to compete in H-Stock. In order to reduce roll, Rich chose to add a stiffer front sway bar (legal for GD3s). This made his GD3 handle much flatter in the turns, but also made it under-steer when pushed. To help cure that characteristic, he constantly plays with tire pressures, uses sticky 225/50-15 R compound tires up front, smaller /harder 195/55-15 tires in the rear, and installed adjustable T1R dampers all around. His Fit now handles like a dream!
You can do either mod, however, you can achieve the same outcome for far less money by just installing a rear sway bar. Not only is it more cost effective to go the RSB route, but it is also a lot less expensive to install. The average owner should be able to install his own RSB. A front sway bar install is much more involved, and will require a mechnics help.
Having said all that, I don't know how a Fit would handle with both bars installed.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Listen to that man ^^^^ he gives good advice
Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Thank you, macbuddy, for your interesting information and advice on RSB and FSB for the Honda Fit. I am not mechanically inclined, but I do love the end result or the user end of the mods. I like the car to have great performance around curvy roads and sharp turns.
And feel like a nice car I enjoy driving, rather than some car I just drive to be driving 8-)
Thank you!
LilFit
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM

What does GD3 mean?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Administrator

That is the model number Honda gave to the earlier Fit/Jazz with a1.5 VTEC engine. The new ones are GE.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Thank you, Claymore, on answering my question.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 AM

mahout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilFit View Post
Help,
LilFit
For handling you need near neutral or slightly oversteering handling.
Fits have enormous understeer, meaning when cornering hard the front end pushes off course outside. Thats bad for A/Xing or tracking.
The fastest Fits counter the understeer by disconnecting one side of the front sway bar or by adding a stiffer rear bar. The local A/X club forbids adding a bar where its not already present but apparently doesn't address disconnected bars. Having better front tires and lesser rear tires, by narrowness or by selection is very useful. The fastest A/Xer here uses 205/50x15 Dunlop Direzzas front and 175/65x15 rears but I suspect most A/X rules require same size tires all around. In that case I believe he would go with 195/55x15 or 205/50x15 x15 all around but with 'cheaper' tires rear. heap tires that definitely have less traction. You coulkd work the same procedure for 16" wheels too. sorry I don't know what 'lesser' tire he uses but they were chosen by reviewing the tire performance tesrts at tirerack. Probably the highest wear rating, like 600 or more.
PS if you do go the different tire approach, be sure the rears have a trifle more diameter than the fronts so braking won't be a problem . Having the rear ride height less in rear vs front means any decceleration lifts the rears tires, not a good thing. You can also alter handlnig with better stiffer shocks especially if use adjustable ones..
good luck.
You should see that fast Fit work a pylon row; looks like one of those dogs running those pylon row courses.
You can see another on track at "Fit at VIR' on you tube.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Thank you Mahout. Good information here.