PDA

View Full Version : 68K Mile Maintenance Project

der Mond
04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
First a Check Engine light for 02 sensor then Check Engine light for Air/Fuel Sensor. Decided to do my "Alaska Pre-emptive Prevention and Maintenance Project 2011." The car has given me four trouble-free winters and so I decided to stack the deck for 4 more. In addition to replacing the spendy sensors, I adjusted valves, changed plugs (Denso Long-Life Iridium), changed PCV, changed evaporative canister filter, had alternator rebuilt, replaced serp belt and replaced battery. Here are photos of old plugs and serp belt (serp belt looked unworn after 68K miles!), exhaust manifold from above and with A/F sensor replaced, and canister filter for Claymore. I wouldnít have been able to get the top sensor out/in the exhaust manifold without the intake manifold off, I donít believe. The serp belt was a real treat, and I had to run socket extensions from the alternator bolt to a ratchet at the right side of engine compartment to get the alternator bolt out. But it IS possible, and itís done, and it sure runs sweet! Have already replaced brake fluid and coolant. Pads and shoes still good and no mechanical failures thus far (knock on carbon fiber):cool:

http://www.hondafitforums.com/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=123

http://www.hondafitforums.com/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=127

http://www.hondafitforums.com/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=128

http://www.hondafitforums.com/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=126

claymore
04-27-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the photo of that filter now I can say for sure other than USDM definitely don't come with one of those.

Looks like you are set for another 68K. How's your back feel? I know if I tried all that in one day or weekend I would still be walking around bent over at the waist.

Plugs look decent for that many miles but is it just the photo or does the one on the left look like it might have been in a little too loose letting cylinder pressure out around the threads?

Nice report BTW

der Mond
04-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Marine, I have to tell you I could hardly walk for three days afterwards! I am going to be 60 in June and I can feel your pain. Actually, it's mine...

HEY! That was an excellent catch with the plug threads. That plug is also ever so slightly darker, probably for that reason. I never noticed the thread difference but I bet you are absolutely right, and maybe that's one of the reasons the engine just runs so sweet now. Maybe the assemblers in Japan have Mondays too...and that's just one more reason I prefer to put my body through hell just so I can say I know the mechanic personally.

I forgot to mention that the upper sensor actually requires the special offset socket to R/R because of the manifold stud next to it, can't get a wrench or nornal socket in there. Also couldn't get my torque wrench in there so just tightened it by feel. Honda won't sell you the socket but Pelican Parts sells one for Porsche 80's Carreras that looks and works the same but is 12-point instead of six-point.

claymore
04-28-2011, 09:05 PM
That is good info on that filter I have never seen anything else about it. How did you know about changing it is it in the owners manual or listed on service requirements. Is it available only a Honda dealers. Approx. how much did it cost if you don't mind.

I'm going to put your photo on Fit sites in Britain and Australia and see if they have it.

der Mond
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I just know that it's replaceable so I replaced it. Canisters cost a lot but filters are relatively cheap. I always top my car off to the top of the fill tube and I'm not sure if that messes with the evap system. I can't remember the price but it wasn't that bad.

der Mond
04-29-2011, 08:46 AM
40 - 60 USD depending on your dealer's discount.

claymore
04-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks for that you are a discoverer nobody has ever mentioned it that I can remember.

claymore
04-30-2011, 12:25 AM
The guys in England say they have that too I guess I will have to take a closer look at mine maybe it does have it too.