PDA

View Full Version : New forum section DIYs

claymore
07-05-2010, 10:39 PM
This is one of my favorites. :p I really like DIYs so I finally figured out how to do it and here it is a place for all our DIYs.

sooznd
07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Thank you! these will be a great resource :cool:

How about a photo DIY for the door visors? The Honda instructions scared me off, so I sold the ones I had purchased.

manxman
07-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Thank you! these will be a great resource :cool:

How about a photo DIY for the door visors? The Honda instructions scared me off, so I sold the ones I had purchased.
Check on www.collegehillshonda.com. They have a lot of installation videos for accessories. But quite honestly, this is like asking for a photo or video DIY on "how do I start my Fit?". Anyone with average hand/eye coordination can install visors.

If you have convinced yourself that you can't do this, then you are right. If you convince yourself that you CAN do it, you will also be right.

sooznd
07-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I have already successfully installed door trim, rear bumper applique' and leather shift knob without any videos-- all a bit trickier than turning a key.

Removing the rubber window seal is what I am leery of, as I do not want my windows to leak if I screw up.

College hills has a video for installing the imported visors on the GD model which looks real easy & does not involve removing the rubber trim, just sticking on which looks easy, but no mention of clips or removing rubber trim.
But the kind I I got requires clips-- so how about a DIY then for the simple minded?

manxman
07-06-2010, 12:57 PM
I have already successfully installed door trim, rear bumper applique' and leather shift knob without any videos-- all a bit trickier than turning a key.

Removing the rubber window seal is what I am leery of, as I do not want my windows to leak if I screw up.

College hills has a video for installing the imported visors on the GD model which looks real easy & does not involve removing the rubber trim, just sticking on which looks easy, but no mention of clips or removing rubber trim.
But the kind I I got requires clips-- so how about a DIY then for the simple minded?
No one is calling anyone simple minded. This is the kind of job that you lean by doing. I didn't take any photos of my two installations- the instructions are well illustrated, and photos seemed to be completely unnecessary.

Pulling the rubber window seals partway out puts your windows at absolutely zero risk. You pull them down, attach the metal clips to the edge of the door above the window opening, then stuff the rubber seals back where they came from. The rubber seals keep the metal clips from falling out when the installation is done.

This kind of installation requires you to be logical, careful, and patient. You need to follow the Honda instructions. Some people can do none of the above. If you are one of them, which I sincerely doubt, don't buy anymore visors unless you are going to pay someone to do the job for you.

The most that you risk by learning by doing this job is, if you break a visor or one of its small parts, you can't finish the installation and you have to throw them away or buy replacement parts and try it again. If you fail, and throw away some broken visors, so what? You won't be on TV or in the tabloids for everyone to laugh at.

Trust me, you have done many, many things in your life that were MUCH more difficult than this.

sooznd
07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I was calling myself that ;)
Your explanation sounds easier than the instructions looked. I was concerned there might be a leakage issue- if not, I can do it.
Is there any reason to have door visors in the rear, if no one sits back there?

manxman
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I was calling myself that ;)
Your explanation sounds easier than the instructions looked. I was concerned there might be a leakage issue- if not, I can do it.
Is there any reason to have door visors in the rear, if no one sits back there?
Now you are being logical. There is no reason to be afraid of any modification, as long as you can afford to break the accessory (but not break your car). The only reason for the rear visors is appearance. Putting only front visors on your car and posting photos is GUARANTEED to get you laughed at.

Another advantage of visors all around is that the windows can be cracked open with much reduced wind noise, and can be cracked slightly open (without appearing to be open) for ventilation in parking lots.

Someone at the Fit plant in Japan stuffed the window seals into their channels in the doors either by hand or with some little tool stuck into the slot where the glass fits. They aren't glued in or held in with any fasteners.

As I have said before, there is a secret that is not in the instructions that makes this even easier. When you have another set of visors and are ready to install them, PM me and I will tell you the secret. The only tool that you will need in addition to what the instruction sheet tells you, is a small needle nose pliers. Another hint- install ALL of the clips and pins (in the right positions according to the instruction sheet) before you begin the installation. To understand any more of this, you will need to have the visors right in front of you. Let me know when you are ready.

The glass seals are square in shape. You can't put them back in their channels and make a mistake- they are either in or out. And even if you could create a leak, rain will run over the visors and not into the window seals.

arman
07-18-2011, 07:16 AM
:rolleyes:Hi I am new here. actually I am studying now for a automotive course, I found many DIY's and user manual here at the net. This time I want to know more about honda body parts (http://www.car-stuff.com/hondabodyparts.htm). Do you have any link for direct download of free auto repair manual?

thanks!
-arman

claymore
07-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Here is a manual for the other than USDM model GD. It works for most of the USDM things. You need to view in Internet Explorer to see the illustrations.

click on MANUAL

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/

arman
07-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Here is a manual for the other than USDM model GD. It works for most of the USDM things. You need to view in Internet Explorer to see the illustrations.

click on MANUAL

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/

thank you so much for this.. Im gonna check it out tom. Thank Thanks:D

littleblackcar
11-23-2011, 06:52 AM
No one is calling anyone simple minded. This is the kind of job that you lean by doing. I didn't take any photos of my two installations- the instructions are well illustrated, and photos seemed to be completely unnecessary.

Pulling the rubber window seals partway out puts your windows at absolutely zero risk. You pull them down, attach the metal clips to the edge of the door above the window opening, then stuff the rubber seals back where they came from. The rubber seals keep the metal clips from falling out when the installation is done.

This kind of installation requires you to be logical, careful, and patient. You need to follow the Honda instructions. Some people can do none of the above. If you are one of them, which I sincerely doubt, don't buy anymore visors unless you are going to pay someone to do the job for you.

The most that you risk by learning by doing this job is, if you break a visor or one of its small parts, you can't finish the installation and you have to throw them away or buy replacement parts and try it again. If you fail, and throw away some broken visors, so what? You won't be on TV or in the tabloids for everyone to laugh at.

Trust me, you have done many, many things in your life that were MUCH more difficult than this.

I am getting my visors this afternoon. What are the secret tricks to making this install easier? Thanks!